Thursday, June 2, 2011

More LEAP'ing


Day 1 of the really serious prep for the LEAP test. From Barnes & Nobles last night, I bought two seriously thick books - $26 bucks each!  One focuses on language arts and the other on math, and both are specifically for the Louisiana LEAP test.

I know that saying “Louisiana LEAP” is redundant in terms of the Louisiana part, but I utterly confused a Connections Academy customer service rep yesterday when asking if incoming freshman had to take the LEAP. You see, Connections Academy has its own LEAP test. So we went round and round for several minutes before we both figured out that we were talking about two different things.

Me: Just got a letter today for my daughter Jojo saying that she’ll have to take the LEAP in order to register as a freshman.

Her: Oh no, she doesn’t have to take the LEAP, but it does help us place her where she should be (don’t you love that phrase “where they should be”?). You can even take it on-line.

Me: Actually I looked it up on-line, and it’s only being offered once this summer, and there’s no make-up date. I don’t know how she would take it on-line. Do you proctor one specifically for Connection Academy’s student?

Her (sounding a bit indignant): Did you find that on our website?

Me: It’s not on your website. I found that on the Louisiana Department of Education’s website. I think they would have more current info on the LEAP.

Her: Give me a minute. . .

We eventually sorted it out and realized that Connections has an assessment test that they call LEAP. Confusing, isn’t it? So if I’m redundant in writing about Louisiana’s LEAP test, that’s why.

No comments:

Post a Comment